Saturday, November 24, 2012

Our Appointment with the RE

I stressed out for weeks waiting for the first visit with our RE, Dr. Jaffe.  I heard that she was one of the best and I couldn't wait to find out what the septate uterus thing meant for me and if that was really why we weren't getting pregnant.

Our consultation was very thorough and took several hours.  We both gave our medical histories and talked to Dr. Jaffe about everything we had gone through.  She listened and then gave us her advice: she explained that a septate uterus means that I had a piece of tissue running down the middle of my uterus that didn't have blood flow, and so didn't support any life.  This was a condition that I had developed in the womb.  It could have also been the cause of my previous miscarriage, if the baby had implanted on the septum he wouldn't be able to survive.   She did an ultrasound of my uterus next to confirm that what I had was a septum and not a different condition and after that we talked about my options.  Art and I decided to go for the more aggressive approach, which was a laparoscopic hysteroscopy.  This was definitely scary for both of us; I had never had surgery before and didn't know what to expect.  But we felt this was our best option for being able to get pregnant so we scheduled the surgery for August 28, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment