Friday, November 23, 2012

Taking the Next Step


In June 2012 I contacted my doctor to find out if we could come in and discuss our situation.  It had been less than a year (the standard length of time that is usually required for a couple under 35 to try to conceive before seeking out infertility options)  but including our first pregnancy and loss we were at a year, and I couldn't wait any more.  My doctor sent me for an HSG (hysterosalpinogram) test to determine if one of my fallopian tubes may have been blocked.

The HSG test was done at a fertility clinic by an RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist), which is a doctor who specializes in getting women pregnant.  The test itself consists of having an x-ray taken of your uterus while contrast dye is inserted to get a good look at your uterus and fallopian tubes.  My experience was excrutiating pain during the test, but luckily it was over quickly.  The doctor was only supposed to do the test and then send the results to my regular OB to give me the diagnosis, but she told me during the test that it looked like I had a septate uterus.  What did this mean?  I had no clue.  I left the doctor's office in a whirlwind of pain and confusion over this news.  The worst part was that my OB's office couldn't schedule me to come in for several weeks, so I really had no idea what to do next.  After doing some research online, I decided to skip going back to the OB's and called the RE's office and set up a consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment